Reminds me of a Personal Story. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, February 18, 2023, 17:00 (426 days ago) @ Korny

When I was very young, a family member would make "puppets" with their hands and act out different scenarios and commentary that would make me laugh and laugh and laugh. My sides would hurt just from all the giggling, a child's laughter. And... as a result of all the glee, its a solid memory I have.

A few years would pass, nothing too long, but a few. And one day I asked this family member "remember when you did" such and such, and could you do it again?

"Well, you're a bit older now. I'm not sure if..."

"Please."

"Alright."

To their credit, they pulled no punches, and did as I requested. And while I did find myself smiling at the antics, it was also immediately obvious that where there was once glee, was now a feeling I can only describe as rote and awkward.

It's one of my first memories in considering "Is this what it's like to grow older?"

I thanked my family member, and with melancholy remarked something to the lines of "It's a shame I don't find it as funny as I used to."

This young, single digit me was partly wrong. What I was realizing without yet realizing I realized (AAA, English!), was, um... lets keep it simple and say "change". A progress in developing whatever sophistication I may have managed to scrounge up, when compared to the simplicity on display.

That said, I expect we all can still yet agree with the sentiment. That it is a shame "it's not as funny", or perhaps the word would be endearing, as it used to be. That the spirit of the thing once enjoyed is gone, and if presented again, unchanged, it becomes obvious all that is left in effect is some dead reanimated shell. It's gross. It's sad. And it's not how things should be, this soulless necromancy.

And after watching this POS Paint-by-Numbers Bungo has the audacity to call a a Vidoc, Vi-DOC, as in Documentary as in "Information" ( by whatever standard such is made by )... ... ... man. Why even waste more words...

...I agree with the bulk of the sentiment here, not that any of this is surprising. In fact, the only surprise I have is how strongly y'all have spoken here, as IF by surprise.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, this personal story is what all this reminded me of. I'll let you all infer what goes where.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread