I miss the old Vidocs (Destiny)

by squidnh3, Friday, February 17, 2023, 09:00 (433 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So buying the skip and liking the Vidocs is really only encouraging them to continue on this route, since those are a product of the live service shift.

It's possible I'm wrong, but the sense I get is that the way Bungie is managing live service Destiny is the envy of the industry, in the sense that many other studios are trying to make live service games and they are constantly failing. Isn't that pretty much the established reason why Sony bought them?

To me, the proof is in their communication about the seasonal model. Last season people abruptly got bored of the "fill in the squares" progression of each season, and Bungie has been like, "okay we hear you, but just so you know the next 2 seasons are going to be pretty much the same because we are already committed to them being like that." In order for them to do this live service seasonal model, they are planning way in advance and having organized teams work on various content for the future. To me, that's exactly what you would have to do in order to have people work reasonable hours. Disorganized, knee-jerk development is how you get crunch, and that's not what Bungie is doing any more (excepting emergency bugs), and I think they've been doing a reasonable job of communicating that over the past year.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread