Gameinformer Lars Bakken Multiplayer Video (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 13:43 (3786 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- Other things mentioned: possibility of weapon power scaling to make competitive multiplayer fair, in game (storyline based?) events that will strongly encourage players to look beyond multiplayer, and that Destiny will have a faster competitive multiplayer time to kill than Halo did (booo!)

I get that it's really satisfying to have quick combat resolution. I just have always appreciated the long form battles that Halo encouraged. You could reasonably get around the map knowing that they could just ping you, giving you the opportunity to catch your breath between points.

It allowed for great teamwork where you call out that you pinged someone twice as they were running towards a mate across the map and they'd know to get the jump on them. It also forced you to have an "opening move" whether that was a bounced grenade, or some pot shots as you closed the distance.

I'm encouraged that he said that good players can still get away sometimes. Remains to be seen how fast they made it.

Yes. This concerned me. I'm always in favor of a good scrap versus a blitzkrieg win. I'm hoping he's indicating that a combination of weapon/grenade/ability is what will allow for these quick wins, and not triple-tap kills ala H:CE. The sprinting and sliding already seem to give off quite a bit of the CoD flavor. When he said the combat is significantly quicker than Halo, my heart fell a little.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread