PR vs What people really think (Destiny)

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 00:11 (3652 days ago) @ Xenos

That was actually Hedge that said that.

Oh, sorry.

But either way, you're trusting the words of people who watched a trailer of a game and said it looks "boring" or "Halo with a little bit of Borderlands"

I'm not trusting any of their words. I actually disagree with a bunch of the excerpts I quoted - like the one idiot who didn't think RPG and shooter mechanics mixed. What I was showing, however, was that the general sentiment is a big 'meh' - at best.

Ragashingo and I also pointed out two articles of people who obviously enjoyed the game a lot and said so without using PR terms. In fact I've only really read two things negative by people who actually played it, one of which was it was boring from Kotaku, and the other is from a lot of journalists saying they didn't get to see enough of Destiny. Virtually ALL of the negative is coming from people watching the trailer, which is fine for them to think, there is no problem with it, but my opinion of the game or the footage that I saw is not affected by their comments on the same thing I saw.

I take what I see coming from the 'journalists' with a grain of salt. You really should, too. Frankly, I was more surprised that a single journalist (Kotaku) actually said up front that they didn't like it. These are people who practically subsist on bribery and kickbacks from the large publishers. They consistently rate games 2-4 points higher on a 1-10 scale than the average gamer does, and they almost never give a game a score under 5-6 out of 10.

Believing anything they say is plain foolishness. I don't trust the videogame 'journalists' nor their blatant advertisements that masquerade as 'opinions', and I frankly think you would be better off doing the same. Gaming 'journalism' is a joke.

As for as the comment on fanboyism, I am unashamedly a fanboy. I haven't disliked a single game Bungie has made, so I tend to trust them until I at least get my hands on the game.

I'd consider myself a Bungie fanboy as well, but if anything that's what drives my extreme examination and criticism of them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread