It's getting better all the time... (Destiny)

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 02:29 (3618 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"It's Mythic Science Fiction. It comes with a very healthy dose of Fantasy, and we believe that is ultimately important..."

I feel like fantasy and science fiction are at odds.

With fantasy, you codify the ignorance of the past, whereas science fiction strives for understanding an knowledge. This is why science fiction is often dealing with interesting philosophical issues, and fantasy rarely so. (Also why science fiction is better).

It's sort of a contradiction if you ask me.

Genres have always inspired and informed one another. The moment you have a very clean cut of what can or can't happen based directly on the parameters of other creations, you're potentially creating something uninspired - you're playing into the "consensus universes" of what are generally the agreed upon happenings in each genre.

But we see examples of genre-fusion all the time, they're fun and often just as intelligent. Things don't have to be exclusive. You can take the furnishings from different genres and they can look and feel great together.

Yes, you moment you apply contradicting tropes from "opposing" genres, things can get messy, but that's something a team of writers with a coherent vision would be working around.

For the record, I don't think Destiny is that genre bending. I think it's more parts sci-fi than fantasy, and Bungie is upfront about that - it has fantasy were it counts: There are adventurers crawling dungeons together for old relics whilst in fancy armour, literally blasting the souls out of opposing forces with magic bestowed onto them by a sphere.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread