It's getting better all the time... (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 16:23 (3638 days ago) @ Quirel

Mass Effect is a good example of this blending, and yeah it's more "fantasy informed" sci-fi. Element zero is the magical force that lets the crazy things happen, but the writing team bases it in our understanding of space time and dark matter.

This and the tactical politics are what make it so great.

I really think we can do better to distinguish between "Don't got to explain nothin'" magic and science fiction concepts that follow rules and draw from our understanding of the universe.

Eh. Destiny looks poised to strike a nice balance between forward-thinking tech that we're familiar with, and the awe and mystery that fantasy imparts. I think we're in for a pretty good time.

One example I keep coming back to in my own head as a good example of how the concepts can coexist well is resurrection. What power would be greater than any (or most) technology? The power over life and death, or to sponatenously be able to create it outright.

I like the leeway that blame-it-on-Space-Magic gives the writing crew, and by all appearances, what we're seeing so far not only has it's own distinctive flavor; but preserves all the tropes Bingle seems so fond of. A particular favorite of mine is the notion that a fast enough spaceship and a tiny, highly-lethal ground team are all that's needed to turn the tide of major events. Something that Marathon, Mass Effect, and Halo all have in common.

Matter of fact, one could say the right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread