It's getting better all the time... (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, May 03, 2014, 02:36 (3645 days ago) @ Ragashingo

"It's Mythic Science Fiction. It comes with a very healthy dose of Fantasy, and we believe that is ultimately important..."

I feel like fantasy and science fiction are at odds.

With fantasy, you codify the ignorance of the past, whereas science fiction strives for understanding an knowledge. This is why science fiction is often dealing with interesting philosophical issues, and fantasy rarely so. (Also why science fiction is better).

It's sort of a contradiction if you ask me.

How does fantasy codify ignorance of the past? Can you give an example? I'm just not sure what you mean here.

In the most basic ways, conquesting rich white dudes, racism, classism, all sorts of issues surrounding sexism, tokenism, actually here (BE GOT SPOILERS) this covers one of the more recent examples of "codifying the ignorance of the past".

Though I don't think that you shouldn't do Fantasy because most of it's implementations are problematic. I think that means there is an opportunity to shatter our perceptions of the past by not falling prey to it's ignorance. Frankly incorporating fantasy elements into sci-fi seems like a great way to avoid "codifying the ignorance of the past".

I love that Bungie is continuing what they started in Reach and are providing us an enormous opportunity to define the guardian that we want to be. This is becoming a digression, NEW THREAD!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread