VentureBeat Interview with Jason Sussman (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 17, 2014, 20:51 (3602 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sussman: It’s a lot of different things. I could get really technical, but I’d bore you to death. A lot has to do with performance. We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience, that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles. A lot goes into that, from geometry to textures to post effects to particles to how many players you get on the screen. We’re always balancing that out to make sure everyone gets the same experience.

So basically, it could have been even more impressive as next gen only.

I get the feeling PS4/XB1/PC would have made the game even better. I guess XBox360 + PS3 > PC sales.

A fraction of either would be more than PC sales, probably by several times.

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/less-than-1-of-boxed-call-of-duty-ghosts-sales-were-on-pc/032414

Even if online sales are a large multiple of PC boxed sales, there's just no comparison. Ghosts sold about 7M on Xbox 360 and a smaller but comparable number on PS3. Figures on next-gen are lower, but still in the millions-- and that number is only low because we're still early in the cycle compared to the last two generations.

Making games for PC operating systems is at this point what it was making them for Macs back in the 90s-- a PR move designed more to please fans than actually pay for itself.

Probably the only current extant platforms selling fewer copies of AAA shooters than the PC right now are the Nintendo platforms-- COD did poorly there as well.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread