Weapons (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, July 08, 2014, 12:20 (3588 days ago) @ electricpirate

So, we know at least one more type of Heavy weapon, A Rail gun, exists,

http://destinynews.net/new-info-game-master-magizine/

I'm hoping for some more variety in the primary and secondary. Where are the SMGs, are they now just a variety of auto rifle? What about a semi auto pistol? What about crazy things, like Reach's amazing nade launcher. What about non hitscan weapons like plasma rifles? There's a lot of room to expand here, though I guess each weapon type creates an exponential growth in terms of balance.

I'd guess we have 90% of the "Types" for destiny, and we'll see 1-2 new weapon classes per expansion/mainline iteration.

I, too, have this concern. It looks unlikely that we'll see entire new categories of weapons, at least early on. I think you're right about SMGs, with all the damage being dished out at close range between melee, powers, shotguns, and autorifles; there doesn't seem to be a niche where SMGs would really be justified. Autorifles are probably it.

Nade launchers seem redundant (not to mention spammy, which seems to have been deliberately designed out)with recharging grenades; and other non-line-of-sight weapons seem to be missing entirely. Though with all of what we've seen so far, it doesn't seem like there are any gaps in terms of what can be accomplished combat-wise. Area denial options are there, sniping options are there, CQC options abound. Weapon selection at this point seems much less a question of functionality than it does look and feel.

Definitely looking forward to what crazy weapons (if any) we get to play with.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread