Weapons (Destiny)

by Jabberwok, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 10:33 (3574 days ago) @ electricpirate

This is one of my biggest concerns so far, is the lack of variety. There are obviously tons of weapons, but every weapon of the same type seems pretty similar to me. Every primary weapon that I've seen is just a hit-scan rifle, and even the specials and heavies are pretty conventional. Comparing back to Reach, that game offered a ton of different options in play style depending on weapon choice. Yes, the grenade launcher and the rocket launcher were both AoE, but the grendade launcher played much differently than any other weapon in the game. Needlers, needle rifles, plasma launchers, energy swords, the plasma pistol, spartan laser, focus rifle, all brought in unique game mechanics. That's the sort of variety that I'm hoping for in Destiny. The amount of unique weapons is cool, but as someone else said, the differences (aside from damage output) seem mostly cosmetic so far. They are pretty much all just aim-fire-kill weapons, with very little to make me play differently when I use a new one.

I'm hoping the full game will make me eat my words, because I would really like to see them get crazier with the weapon types. The fiction they've established allows them to make pretty much anything imaginable, but right now, 90% are things we've seen in most every other shooter. I mean, Mass Effect weapons didn't have much more variety, but they also had about ten times as many powers to work with.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread