Weapons (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 09:02 (3587 days ago) @ electricpirate

I really hope they are holding back on showing some unique weapons. So far this looks like a futuristic Battlefield armory. I want to see something that really mixes sci-fi and fantasy. Some kind of weapon that is truly unique to Destiny.

I think we'll get some of that in the exotics, but I'd like to see more woven right into the core fabric of the game.

This, this, this. Everything so far (with the exception of Thorn, which I don't recall seeing in action) keeps to a fairly narrow aesthetic. I'd like to see more Space Magic baked into the weapons, for sure.

I'd also like to see some weapons designed around support more than direct damage. Slowdown, siphoning guns, guns that displace enemies, etc.

Really, really want more of this, too. But one has to consider how it will translate into PvP. I'm sort of expecting that the divide between how the weapons behave in each environment will widen over time, especially since the MLG crowd will almost certainly pare the game down to one particular winning formula for instant or near-instant death.

My guess is that the chance of any weapon with really unique support-style properties is eventually going to be nerfed into oblivion or simply won't be effective in PvP situations.

After all, while weapons with status effects and other sorts of oddball behaviors will undoubtedly come in super handy against hordes of enemies, it doesn't seem to me like they'd be as useful in the short PvP encounters it seems The Crucible is built around.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread