Futura and sci-fi… (Destiny)

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:11 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

One thing I've been confused by is Bungie's decision to use Futura for the main Destiny logotype, but Helvetica (or apparently Neue Haas Grotesk?) for interface text. Helvetica dates back to the 50s, and is far less sci-fi — given how often they've used it in all-caps bold, it would have seemed more consistent to use Futura for consistency.

Helvetica in it's original incarnation was called Neue Haas Grotesk. See here. They probably dont want anything to compete with the wordmark element of the Destiny logo hence the restriction on it's use in accompanying text.

On top of all that, there's also another sans serif interface font used in the game:

[image]

I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like a Humanist of some sort — possibly Frutiger — but it's hard to tell at this size.

More than likely Open sans or Roboto, I'll have a check. There the faces that they use for the website so it would make sense to continue with their usage in the Destiny UI.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread