Destiny Fonts (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 15:11 (3547 days ago) @ Evil Otto

Unfortunately, we had some issues with fidelity rendering it at small, subpixel alignments; particularly the italicized version. For the small body and italics caption font, I went with Epoca Pro. That one was authored and hinted specifically for screen display so it worked much nicer at small sizes. The fact that it is narrower and gothic helps separate it from Neue Haas, though, I wish it was just a tad more condensed, as it can feel a bit too similar at times.

Hooray, an answer! Thanks :)

I wasn't familiar with this one previously but now that I see it in higher resolution I can see why DaDerga thought it might have been Roboto — it has slightly more ‘squashed’ letterforms, a bit closer to a DIN than something like Frutiger, Myriad or Open Sans. Interesting to hear the thought process behind that — it's not so long ago that videogame typography was effectively a bunch of bitmaps being rendered from sprites, and now we see you're actually giving consideration to subpixel hinting.

Like we see throughout the game, there's an accent of fantasy here and there. In the UI, we were inspired by the map from Time Bandits to create the look of the navigator map used in the Director. In that, we accented with Cromwell, as you guys have astutely noticed.

Ah, this one I'd never have guessed myself — it's on your resources page :) But it's interesting to hear it's inspired by the map from Time Bandits; I can immediately see the similarities between it and the ‘antique star map’ included with the collector's edition:

[image]

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread