The First Human-Darkness War (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 12:00 (3547 days ago) @ PackLeader89

So this statement here from Bungie is very interesting.

"In our darkest days, Humans, Exos, and Awoken found the Traveler where it made its last stand, low above Earth, silent and immobile. We built this City – our last – within its protective Shield, fighting countless wars to keep its peace. From that dark age, the Guardians of the City were born."

So, breaking that down:
1) The Traveler makes his last stand right above Earth.
2) Humans, Exos, and Awoken flood under his shield and begin to build The City.
3) Humanity fought "countless wars" to keep the City protected and standing.
(What would make the writers say "Countless wars"?)
4) The Guardians are a product of the defense of the City. Ergo, there were NO Guardians before the City was built.

Close, but:

The first Titans built the Wall, and gave their lives to defend it. Now, you stand in the same high place, steadfast and sure, protecting all who shelter in your shadow. You hail from a long line of heroes, forged from strength and sacrifice. Our enemies may be deadly and merciless, but so are you.

So Guardians predated The City... or at least The City as we now know it. I think the Traveler settled over a city... just the only one it could reach after the battle and that city became The City.

They came from the wild lands, gathering in secret enclaves, slipping through the howling ruins of shattered cities, hoping to find the coast, find a ship, pick up the trail of an impossible dream. From the deep black came the Awoken, their eyes haunted. Exos marched in the refugee columns, cloaked in moss and shattered memories. And among them came the Ghosts, beginning their search. It was a time of vast suffering and terrible evil. But there was one hope: the promise of a refuge beneath the Traveler.

I figure Earth was left in a state of chaos after The Traveler drove away The Darkness. Billions dead, but still not a small number left alive. London, Old Chicago, and other cities not razed might have changed into the battlegrounds of warlords. I'd expect massive shortages of food, water, power. There might have been slavery and all kinds of abuses going on as those with power and with guns tried to gain whatever margin of safety they could. And remember, we know that The Fallen at least were making raids... all the more reason to consolidate whatever power you can.

As the second Grimoire quote says, even The Traveler would have become a hoped for promise. Ten years after the collapse people might still be wondering about what happened to The Traveler. Thirty years out with no one having seen it would become that the older generations knew about but something the younger had no first hand knowledge of. Hundred of years later (our Ghost says he been looking for us for centuries) and The Traveler would be all but a legend for people who didn't live under it.

On the brighter side, we'd have Ghosts all around the world reviving Guardians. Word of The City would get out, even if it was only a promise, a hope, or a legend. People would flock towards a supposed last safe city... if they were allowed to. If they could make the journey. Even in 2014 I would have to strain all my resources to relocate my life to Puerto Princessa where we think The Traveler is located. Imagine trying to do it with no airlines, no friendly cities, no reliable power or water or shelter. And with "terrible evil" lurking about in the forms of your fellow man as well as marauding space pirates or worse!

For a bit more on these things see my Speculation Saturday series. I think you'll find them interesting if you haven't already read them. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread