Is there a story to be found in Destiny? (Destiny)

by hunt3r, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 11:31 (3526 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Shit Bungie. Destiny is fun as hell, but man you guys absolutely suck at creating a narrative.

This is my first impression as well. I'm only up to level 5, but so far the story has been scant and I have no idea what's going on. I got revived by some ghost robot (was I the skeleton in that car?) and I spent two hours making an extraordinarily handsome blue fellow who looks like Ziggy Stardust. OK that part was amazing. but then the game just dumps me into the hub world with no context whatsoever? I finished an entire mission before my character was even briefed on what the hell a guardian even is. I've finished a bunch more missions after that, and nothing has really happened! I think I found an ancient AI, but that's all I was told. So what? Where's the relevance? Who gives a rip?

I know lots of people on the internet like to bemoan modern games narratives as unnecessarily hand-holding the player and shoving narrative down his throat (MGS4...!) but surely there must be a happy medium between no story at all and too much.

Full disclosure: I barely watched anything before the game was released and didn't play the beta. I didn't buy the game either (got it for free) so I'm not feeling any of that "must defend my purchase" emotion.

I agree though, the gameplay is awesome. it's very rewarding to shoot those 4 armed alien guys and also those explodey zombie dudes. I like it when you shoot that knives dude's head off and steam shoots out of his corpse. So far the actual shooty part of the game has been a blast, and the game is beautiful, the art direction is great, and I love the UI. but holy hell does the writing suck sometimes ("That's a wizard! Kill it!") and what the hell is going on with the ghost's voice? did they forget to replace the placeholder dialogue? Is that why Marty isn't at Bungie anymore?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread