One data point ... (Destiny)

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:02 (3526 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by rliebherr, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 13:06

Maybe all of Destiny 1 is foundational, with very few big events, but it's stupid for me to keep typing. You guys have finished the game (I assume), and you're entitled to your opinions.

That is exaclty my thought. WE've been given a (very) light introduction to the universe. The Grimoire Cards provide some context. I think the issue is the story that was being told in this, the pilot episode, was not told very well. We don't understand why we're doing what we're doing.

In Halo CE, the reason we didn't know much was because there was a mystery and that was part of the narrative (Why are the Covenant attacking? Where did the Flood come from? What does Halo do? Forerunner?!). The player knew that and could reconsile with not knowing and each level in the campaign had set objectives that fit in the larger mystery and advanced us closer to resolution.

In Destiny, there's mystery in the big, decade long picture, but I have no idea why I did what I did in the campaign, how it fits in the larger mystery, or what resolution mght look like. I'm completely clueless. The Grimoire Cards helped a little, but I had to fill in the gaps with my own opinions, which I don't know to be true.

I'm hoping the DLC will provide some clarity, we'll see.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread