I get it. I love it. Hope Metacritic wont hurt it. (Destiny)

by Numinar @, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 09:47 (3523 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

No, I meant Objective. Gameplay, progression, presentation and amount and quality of content is better than most FPP games. As for narrative, I'm happy to be called dead wrong on this but a non-story (That serves gameplay) is better than a bad story, and most releases have bad stories with few exceptions.

I feel like I have played the 9/10 games that compare most obviously to Destiny, and I feel it compares to them favorably. 6/10 would be a serviceable, competent, short B grade outing. This is not it. It's not Bioshock or TLoU for Story, but those games are not Destiny for co-op, progression or second to second combat. Maybe it's not advancing games as art as the poor overworked journalists need games to be unless they are geometry wars level abstract, but in terms of delivering a whole lot of deservedly famous but somehow derided AAA Bungie shooter on a single disc/download? I don't get it.

I see the flaws. Some of them are a little painful, but they barely detract from what is, for most of the time, is a thrilling, fun, extremely polished content rich experience. Most games don't release with the quality of the alpha we played after E3. I think a lot of it is people were expecting more, but I don't know why or how people got that idea. I saw the same crappy ads, they seemed gross and overproduced and shallow and not descriptive of the game at all. Begging an alpha code due to previous Bungie loyalty demanding curiosity (but not a pre-order) is what got me on this train.

This is the first release I thought that Bungie might do me wrong since Myth:TFL. I am glad to see it hasn't.

And despite the success, the game has a lot of places where it can, and probably needs to, grow. Doesn't make it a bad game. Makes me excited for whats next from the company that previously gave us console lans, amazing co-op, online sofa, theater, Legendary difficulty, integrated stat tracking websites, the Halo universe, firefight and 5 amazing FPS campaigns in 10 years. I was really hoping that the long term investment here would build something truly amazing from a fantastic foundation that appears to me to have been delivered.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread