I also get it. I also love it. Hope Metacritic wont hurt it. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 10:26 (3523 days ago) @ kornman00
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 10:48

Not having everything open or "unlocked" on the first day I think helps enforce the pace which Bungie is trying to get the player to follow. But there lies the problem they need to address to reviewers/players. They're trying to break the status quo of pre-Destiny games while seemingly expecting the masses to *understand* and accept this. You can only build *up* so high before it becomes infeasible to go higher, which means you have to start thinking/expanding laterally. This is how the content in the game is laid out.

It's my opinion that games like this are bad. If your game requires holding the player back from playing and tackling challenges at their own pace, and making high level play all about repetition and tedium, then there is something wrong with your genre. This is why MMOs are bad, and this is why ultimately Destiny is a bad game. It's a bad game with fun mechanics, so it's in a weird place. Everything you talk about only serves to frustrate, and hold back a player. The only thing holding someone back from tackling the challenges your game has to offer should be their mastery and understanding of the game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread