A Thought About Destiny's Reception (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 15, 2014, 12:21 (3533 days ago) @ car15

Bungie did a bad job of getting the game across to consumers pre-release. Until I played the beta, all I had were expectations and interpretations of VERY vague statements to go on.

Others will disagree with me, but I think that marketing strategy was intentional. Keeping the nature of the game vague generated hype, which increased sales.

Your cynicism is becoming a drag, man. I think it has always been a difficult game to describe because it doesn't quite fit in any category, and you can see even now if you've watched any of the critics' roundtables. In my opinion, there were very few inaccurate or even misleading statements (from Bungie at least). They've also been very open about the fact that this is a work in progress and would continue to be after launch. I think they worked hard to dissuade people from getting the wrong idea, but it was hard work, in that I scarcely saw a single interview with a Bungie person where they weren't having to bat back misconceptions or criticisms because they hadn't yet talked about [insert feature here] that we expect from all our [insert favorite genre] games.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread