I remember that post... (Destiny)

by katancik ⌂ @, Portland, OR/ University of Texas, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 21:18 (3507 days ago) @ Cody Miller

... and at the time I just thought you were just way over-stepping your dislike of Reach's fairly limited investment system and making wild assessments.

But I was wrong. You absolutely nailed it. Destiny isn't a game about the player going out and having fun with friends (with the exception of the raid.) Destiny's sole purpose seems to be to get you and a group of friends hooked and competing, then rewarding you with just enough meaningless loot to keep you coming back. At level 26, I really want to finish off the raid, but it take so, so much repeating of old content to get there. After going to farm spirit blooms for a few times already, and completing a few bounties to up my vanguard rep I'm just not so sure I want to keep going. I certainly have no interest in starting a new character. I'm not having the fun I was having with literally no reward like in Halo 2 and 3.

Then there's the ever looming hope that Bungie will add "new content." With the Queen's wrath event, I've lost hope that we'll be getting anything "new" in the next few months. I was excited prior to the event with all of the hype about a new story and missions, etc. What did we get? Some bounties that are the same as the ones that we were already doing and some missions we've already done. No new cutscenes, no new landscapes, not even new enemies to fight. If this is what the "constantly updated" world of Destiny is going to be it simply isn't good enough. My only hope is that the DLC's bring something huge to this game.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this is the reason Halo 2 and 3 are looked back on so fondly. The game wasn't engineered to keep you hooked and playing. It was engineered for stupid fun that didn't get old. It's hard to believe that the grueling unfun grind of Destiny and the nonsense 10 minutes of fun that you never wanted to quit of Halo 2-3 came from the same developer.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread