Wall of text about my feelings about Bungie.org (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 23:49 (3507 days ago) @ car15

Am I? Well, sure, I suppose I am. Nobody came out and directly said, "I don't like you, car15. Go away. You're not welcome here." But I certainly felt that I was not welcome here.

This is not a great community for newcomers. I'm not passing judgment on everyone who is part of the community, mind you. I'm just saying that the community as a whole is kind of difficult to penetrate.

Honestly I am a relative newcomer on here. I only joined when DBO branched off from HBO and decided I should actually start joining in on the conversation. The thing I learned quickly though is that a lot of things you can get away with on almost any other forum are generally not tolerated here. Not by the admins mind you, but by the forum-goers. A lot of this IS because of what Avateur said, which is that many people have known each other for quite awhile, but I honestly can't tell you why else.

The other thing you should realize though is this IS a fan site. I still am amused when every someone accuses another of being a Bungie fanboy on here. Well, yeah, I think a lot of us are. Guess what? That's why it's called DESTINY.BUNGIE.org! Sure, I'm fine with people expressing their opinions, but when someone keeps saying over and over again why they dislike the game or a feature or Bungie themselves, they're going to get called out on it. The fact that this is a Destiny fan site to me tends to say: it's assumed if you're here you at least have a minimal amount of appreciation for the game, and if you don't, I have to ask the relatively obvious question: "Why are you here?" That is not directed at you personally car15, but at everyone on here, if you don't like Destiny think about that question and why, on a Destiny and Bungie fan site people would become annoyed to have someone repeatedly putting down the game that they came to this site to discuss and to find other fans. And if you do like Destiny, find a civil way to express your disappointments and let it drop, even if someone responds in a less than civil way. The number one thing I learned on this forum is the best experience comes when you ignore the few negative people (whether they are negative about game or just negative people), because when you don't, you generally become one of them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread