I want to know what Bungie was thinking (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 21:19 (3507 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Looking around the internet at various other communities such as reddit Destiny, and here, I see the same thing arising:

People are losing interest in the game.

All of them are saying the same types of things I said day 1. There is nothing to do, and replaying stuff over and over is not content. The grind is no fun.

I'm not sure if this is an "I told you so" or not. With how you keep posting "#codywasright", I'm thinking it is. Recent issues with some people that agree with you and think similarly to you have reminded me how far you've come but I still think everyone that said you were rushing to judgment on release day and the day after were right, and "I told you so" rarely helps your case.

Most of the folks who disagreed are starting to come around now that they have reached the end game.

You know, I have some serious problems with Destiny, but they seem to almost all be different from your problems with it. This part, about the endgame, is the only thing that gives me pause. Well, that and the story; I have yet to see anyone say they love or it even really like it, but I haven't heard anything about it being badly written per se or uninteresting, and the Grimoire seems related to that issue, and to at least be of high quality overall.
I guess I'll see if you were right about most of this in a few days, or a few weeks. I don't see myself getting bored of the combat any time soon, though, and that's what will keep me coming back, more than numbers and stats. In fact, it'll probably pull me in in that way less than Reach, even. Something about commendations made them really get their hooks into me, and thus far nothing in Destiny does the same thing, which is good, because Destiny won't do those things for me you were right about investment systems doing that are less than desirable.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread