Ghost has amnesia or multiple personalities. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 05, 2014, 07:00 (3470 days ago) @ scarab

Every time Dinklebot says we've heard the legends I say, "No I haven't. Nobody had the time to tell me the legends." They could have but they didn't.

This is course a burden on the video game. The player has to have some sort of knowledge of your character's motivation.

I've been trying to get a film off the ground for a few years based on a video game. In the game, it starts in the middle of something, and since the player wouldn't know what the main character is doing, one of he first things is an interaction with another character asking him if he has completed his task yet. The character is a major one, yet pretty much exists only for this purpose.

In the screenplay, this character is eliminated. The main character can do what he does, and the audience doesn't always have to know why. In fact, there's a bit of a dramatic irony now where we think he is doing one thing, but find out later it is something else. There are many many more ways to do this, and it is much more flexible when you audience is not directing the action.

It is entirely possible a lot happened 'off screen' in Destiny, and in a film this would be fine, as your main character can have knowledge your players don't. In a game, that doesn't work so well.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread