Speculation thread [img heavy]

by zumphry ⌂ @, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 20:52 (4057 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

Well, Mars has a very sparse atmosphere, I seriously doubt you'd get much energy with a windmill at those pressures. The image likely over-exaggerates the effect of sand buildup, that kind of movement of sand dunes probably doesn't happen on any sort of human timescales on Mars.

Huh, didn't know Mars had a sparse atmosphere (or I forgot, I mean, I need to look at my underwear to remember what my name is), so I guess you do learn something new every day...

Still, I hope we do see windmills. Can't have too many windmills.

More striking to me were the dead-looking tree-things growing on parts of the building (in particular, the right hand side of the image). Lends some credence to a greenhouse somewhere inside. Makes me wonder what sort of things were being grown there, too.

Yeah, I thought I was pulling the whole greenhouse thing out of my butt, but then I noticed the trees growing. I wonder if those grew like that before they got exposed to the outside, or if they grew like that afterwards? The way they're overgrowing/"reclaiming" the building kinda suggests the latter.

Also, the way the image is put together makes me think of an artist taking an in-game screenshot of 3D assets, and then arting over those to help establish feel and aesthetics of the environment. A lot of the concept art seems to have this blend of 3D and 2D about it.

Heh, yeah. I seem to recall that becoming prevalent in Bungie's concept art around ODST. Though, if you look back at the storyboards for 1/2/3, there's parts where it looks like they dropped modeled objects into the scene. That's probably standard practice, but I think it looks cool.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread