Ghost Town

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 20:54 (4036 days ago) @ Reconcilliation
edited by Pyromancy, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 21:01

Ghost Town
[image]

Ghost Town interested me quite a bit since it appears to be a mixed media piece of art? When looking at the largest version available some of the areas are photo realistic, with digital matte painting on top of it? Unless I'm just tricked by someone's amazing art skills.

One of the things that interests me the most is if we could somehow identify the source images. I know pretty much impossible, but a fun idea.

Looks like the foreground field with the character standing in it, is real grass and plants, and the rock pile next to the stair case is very realistic and appears cropped from a picture (reminds me of something that might have been in the Halo: 'Believe' Diorama ad campaign).

Part of the dam looks like it could maybe be real? And then all the foliage on top of it looks super realistic to me with fog added around it. It serves as a foreground to frame the mountain in the background, which looks to be a real mountain scape with a waterfall painted on it with additional spray/fog?

I couldn't help but wonder if the ruin'd building was inspired or possibly based off of an actual building or architecture. The lower area with the sign looks pretty real and the whole top part was painted over it?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread