DE puts Bungie to shame with a "Persistent World". (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, March 22, 2015, 10:15 (3325 days ago)
edited by Korny, Sunday, March 22, 2015, 10:51

It's time for the weekly "Korny won't shut up about Warframe" thread. This one will discuss a topic that bugs me more and more each month. Out of the gate, Destiny was hyped to be a "persistent world", and Bungie never made any attempt to counter or clarify that claim.

Almost seven months down the road, and the only change to the game world has been the Crota content: A few MP maps, four short story missions, a bug-riddled Raid, some new gear, and UI/Interaction tweaks. Which is frustrating, because needed improvements were easy to find and call out during the game's Alpha, and to date, almost none have even been talked about, much less addressed:

From my Alpha writeup:

It may have just been an Alpha thing (which I may end up saying a lot), but it did feel like some vital features were missing from the options menu...

I hate to sound like someone else here, but this is super basic stuff, and the fact that it's taken this long for some of these issues to even be addressed is really unacceptable.

But I'm going off on a tangent. Back to the topic at hand. Persistent World.

Even with the addition of Crota's End, nothing has really changed in the world of Destiny. The only permanent change has been the appearance of Eris, and her ship (and the loot cave Easter Egg, but that doesn't count). Literally everything else in the game has remained unaffected.

Now let's go take a look at what Digital Extremes has done with Warframe. But in order to understand, some quick lore info and summaries of player-driven events are required. While there are many different stories and arcs in the Warframe lore, we'll focus on a single one: The Fomorian arc, and Councilor Vay Hek.

There are multiple enemy factions in the game, two of the Primary factions are the Grineer, and the Corpus.
[image]

The Grineer can best be compared to Halo's Covenant. Scavengers. Immitative rather than innovative. Powerful ships and large invasions had helped them conquer the Solar System, until turmoil and War pushed them out to the edges of the System:

To a man, the Grineer are a race of clones; products of ancient, half-remembered technologies. Copies of copies, Grineer are produced in industrial quantities, and all Grineer are genetically defective, their genome damaged by the invasive cloning procedures used to birth each generation. However, these defects are as mass-produced as the Grineer themselves, allowing for the rapid standardization of techno-augmetic adaptation between such generations. Indeed, it could be argued that the Grineer are better at fixing broken bodies than they are at making ones that function to begin with. Their homeworld is a ruined, uninhabitable Earth. They are people acting on an ultimate xenophobia, fueled by hereditary madness, and a burning hate of anything and anyone not like themselves. In the end, should they succeed, there will only be Grineer left alive in the solar system.

In some of their lore, there is mention of massive ships that the Grineer used for war: Fomorians (Think CSO-class supercarriers), powerful warships that could help them regain control of the countless territories that they'd lost over time.

Another major faction is the Corpus. They can somewhat be compared to Halo's Prometheans, in that they have advanced technologies that help counter their lower numbers, but they hold no real allegiance. Profit is their one true driving force, and they'll readily ally themselves with either the Grineer or Tenno (players) if it suits their needs:

The Corpus are a conglomeration of commercial and industrial interests unified by a single trade language and a common goal - the acquisition and trading of ancient Orokin technologies and Warframes.

Note how references to earlier events come into play. The world has been constantly changing since day 1, but the characters acknowledge these events, rather than Destiny's stagnant tower characters.

And this one chain of events is just part of the list of major events that have shaped what the game world is now. And I haven't even mentioned that Clans have incentive to participate in these events, as they can win large trophies that they can permanently display in their Dojo (Clan Relay), as well as a permanent spot on the event leaderboard.

Though I played Warframe early on, I didn't find the game enjoyable enough to get into it, but I definitely saw the potential. And DE has certainly felt the same way, as the game is already on version 16. And here's the thing. Bungie is a AAA developer with 500 employees, with one barebones content pack after seven months, with two more months to go until the next one. Digital Extremes is a developer with 150 employees, and they are constantly, CONSTANTLY, adding content to the game. Heck, just look at the most recent version. That's every month. Pretty much every month since launch, they've put out new content in some way or another. And the content has an effect on the world that they've created.

Not only that, but they are great at communicating with players on changes and content that they have planned for the future (through six livestream videos that they do every month). Update 16 was only announced about a month ago, with promises of the raid, a new Warframe, new weapons, a new Prime Warframe (Exotic versions of existing Frames), a PvP overhaul, and other stuff. Announced a month ago, and it's all here now. Heck, they have even teased the next major story arc that also deals with ancient lore. And to top it all off, DE has achieved all of this without ever paywalling a single non-cosmetic thing in the game. Everything has been free from day 1, with convenience fees being pretty much their only player-driven source of revenue, while Bungie has their "500 million" budget and five years working on the game already... And yet look at what DE can do in a single update, or with a single story arc, and they make it impactful and permanent.

Then you go back to Destiny:
Oh look, Inferno playlist. It's like regular crucible, only your Radar is disabled. yay.
New Bounty. Now you need 20 headshots with any weapon instead of just Auto Rifles. yay.
Upcoming UI changes. Now you can turn the game audio down and voices up a bit more. yay.

New Multiplayer maps! But they're not available to you outside of their specific playlist.
331 weapons! That don't matter outside of the raid.
Umm... Exclusive emblem for the Bungie Bounty?

DE has less than a third of the employees that Bungie has. What is the deal? Will House of Wolves finally give up substantial content? I mean, it was announced before the game even released...

Something I'd like to see: if the upcoming map pack has three maps, make a fourth, then have a community event, like a Faction struggle for claiming territory that leads to the discovery/claiming of one of the Crucible maps.

Fighting for New Monarchy led to unlocking map A for free for everybody.
Fighting for Dead Orbit led to unlocking map B for free for everybody.
Fighting for Future War Cult led to unlocking map C for free for everybody.

That'd at least feel like a Persistent change, because players will have had a direct impact on the world, as regardless of DLC content, every player would have one more map, maybe one with the corresponding Faction's flags or insignias scattered about, and the rest would be in the map pack.

SOMETHING to affect what the game brings to the table.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread