I will say (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, March 22, 2015, 18:48 (3342 days ago) @ ZackDark

Because you have gushed about this game, I looked in to it. I haven't played (and won't, perhaps that's worth a post), but the one thing it appears Bungie could learn that would help is that Warframe appears to get more bang for their buck with the areas. The levels are smaller and much less detailed, but you're actually doing stuff on them.

Not entirely true. Once you learn to "fly" with melee combos, you start just rushing past everything that's not an objective. However, every level is procedurally-generated, so navigating is always "fresh". The multiple pathways within every "room" are also pretty fun to master.

Also, Zephyr. If you can get your hands on her (not too hard, she's a clan-research Frame), navigating the game will always be fun. But Nightmare missions (think Nightfall for regular missions) are kind of the counter to that quick navigation. In those you need to be checking every corner, and familiar rooms approached from different angles can prove terrifying. But Nightmare missions are fun because they challenge you and reward you with great mods... I've had some "watercooler moments" like saving a prisoner from execution with 00:00 seconds on the clock while shield-less and surrounded by enemies, and stuff.

If you look at the raids, the areas are much much smaller than the planet areas, but so much is packed into them. Destiny needs to utilize the space better, although it's probably easier for the raids since you don't have to design the spaces around patrol and public events. If anything, a lot of the story missions should take place on 'story only' areas that are not connected to the patrols.

That I agree with entirely.

Running the Will of Crota has an interesting encounter. You are in a public area (Skywatch), but a story-specific enemy gets dropped off. This, and the first Cyclops on Venus are two of the only Public story encounters that I can think of... More of that would be cool, especially if it utilized mostly-empty areas (remember when Bungie told of how we'd end up pinned down with little hope when suddenly a random Fireteam could show up and save us?)...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread