Owned. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, March 22, 2015, 12:52 (3341 days ago) @ Korny

Though I played Warframe early on, I didn't find the game enjoyable enough to get into it, but I definitely saw the potential. And DE has certainly felt the same way, as the game is already on version 16. And here's the thing. Bungie is a AAA developer with 500 employees, with one barebones content pack after seven months, with two more months to go until the next one. Digital Extremes is a developer with 150 employees, and they are constantly, CONSTANTLY, adding content to the game. Heck, just look at the most recent version. That's every month. Pretty much every month since launch, they've put out new content in some way or another. And the content has an effect on the world that they've created.

Not only that, but they are great at communicating with players on changes and content that they have planned for the future (through six livestream videos that they do every month). Update 16 was only announced about a month ago, with promises of the raid, a new Warframe, new weapons, a new Prime Warframe (Exotic versions of existing Frames), a PvP overhaul, and other stuff. Announced a month ago, and it's all here now. Heck, they have even teased the next major story arc that also deals with ancient lore. And to top it all off, DE has achieved all of this without ever paywalling a single non-cosmetic thing in the game. Everything has been free from day 1, with convenience fees being pretty much their only player-driven source of revenue, while Bungie has their "500 million" budget and five years working on the game already... And yet look at what DE can do in a single update, or with a single story arc, and they make it impactful and permanent.

Then you go back to Destiny:
Oh look, Inferno playlist. It's like regular crucible, only your Radar is disabled. yay.
New Bounty. Now you need 20 headshots with any weapon instead of just Auto Rifles. yay.
Upcoming UI changes. Now you can turn the game audio down and voices up a bit more. yay.

New Multiplayer maps! But they're not available to you outside of their specific playlist.
331 weapons! That don't matter outside of the raid.
Umm... Exclusive emblem for the Bungie Bounty?

DE has less than a third of the employees that Bungie has. What is the deal? Will House of Wolves finally give up substantial content? I mean, it was announced before the game even released...

Something I'd like to see: if the upcoming map pack has three maps, make a fourth, then have a community event, like a Faction struggle for claiming territory that leads to the discovery/claiming of one of the Crucible maps.

Fighting for New Monarchy led to unlocking map A for free for everybody.
Fighting for Dead Orbit led to unlocking map B for free for everybody.
Fighting for Future War Cult led to unlocking map C for free for everybody.

That'd at least feel like a Persistent change, because players will have had a direct impact on the world, as regardless of DLC content, every player would have one more map, maybe one with the corresponding Faction's flags or insignias scattered about, and the rest would be in the map pack.

SOMETHING to affect what the game brings to the table.

Reading this hurts. Don't make us kick your ass indeed.

The events and happenings described in your complete post, such as that rallying cry of "Save Europa", sounds very interesting and very intense. Such a mechanism would have extremely far reaching effects on all of Destiny. Like a black hole eating every casual whole. ...

I'm finding myself agreeing and disagreeing. Right now in Destiny you can play (for better or for worse) anything you want (unless you haven't beaten all parts of DLC ~ *Grumble*) with out any particular pressure. Yeah, there are bounties, but its an Opt in thing. If you miss it - so what? With this sort of mechanism, it becomes "play this or else". I'm not denying that something big has to be done, but I don't think its exactly this. A good direction definitely.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread