By that logic, matchmaking shouldn't exist at all. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 01, 2015, 20:03 (3250 days ago) @ CyberKN

Not that I think that raids should have matchmaking, but your basketball analogy falls flat because we already have that in Destiny in the form of the crucible. A more apt comparison would be putting together and successfully running a small business that requires multiple employees/business-partners.

By what logic? Not mine. Crucible is a low-stake activity--a pick-up game. Matchmaking is perfectly fine for that. Other activities require a greater commitment of time and energy. An NBA game can't just happen on the fly. The more difficult the challenge, the higher the bar should be to find teammates because otherwise easily found teammates are easily abandoned. I think a lot of people aren't used to thinking this way when it comes to video games. I've tried to organize raids with real-life friends who are like, "Yeah, I might be on sometime tonight." Um, no. We have showtimes for movies and kick-off times for sporting events, and we do for this, too.

That's not to say I don't think there should be more communication options in the Tower. I've advocated for something like digital sandwich boards so you could see what people need help with. That would be cool in that it would be in-the-world and would require some manual effort.

Bottom line: if filling the roster is a button-click away, so is leaving games. Case in point, the weekly now. The other day I joined one, and there were more names on it than you could view--easily over a dozen. Someone had to deal with a ton of quitters.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread