Forbes is ruining the game. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, June 03, 2015, 23:25 (3246 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm not sure why Forbes has now decided to start caring about videogames, but I have to admit nearly every article they write about it makes me want to pull out my hair.

"My opinion is that every mode in Destiny should at least have the option to pair random players together in the game, and I’ve talked about how once that functionality was introduced to the Weekly Heroic Strike, it completely changed the way I played. Once I was able to farm for Strange Coins effectively, I built up two alternate characters who could now complete the weekly challenge because of the insertion of matchmaking."

I'm so glad you can now play this social game with strangers, rather than not at all, instead of making some online friends. Your ability to solo the Weekly coincided with my necessary decision to stop playing the weekly except when I have a full fireteam, because playing with one random is an exercise in frustration more often than not (although I did have a good experience this week).

The compulsion of so many players to speedrun everything, running past not just patrol enemies but even enemies that are part of the mission but don't need to be killed in order to advance, is infuriating. It nearly always results in a wipe as the solo player rushes ahead into the darkness zone while the others are still behind actually playing the strike.

Two players at level who know each other and communicate are more than capable of taking on any Weekly Strike there is. But because of the incessant whining about needing matchmaking for everything and "at least make it an OPTION" we now can't do it without going through matchmaking.

That's another thing that drives me nuts-- this "make it an option" nonsense. It can't work that way. The whole point of matchmaking is that it's mandatory. The only way to get in the random singles like the Forbes writer is to force all the fireteams that aren't full to accept players. If we could opt out we would, and there would not be enough fireteam spots for every player (or journalist) with an empty friends list who wants coins.

So, thanks, Forbes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread