Our Mine Strategy (Destiny)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 21:56 (3186 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by someotherguy, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 22:00

First off, great guide! I like the reminder that the Fireteam is in control of the fight, and that nothing happens until you say it can, which is a real relief compared to how it used to be.

I hope you don't mind me throwing my hat in the ring with a slightly more detailed (but also a little more restrictive - it requires one of each class) method for dealing with mines. It's an exceprt from a post I made a while back, but you've covered most of it better than me so I'll just repost the mines section.

The Strategy
You want to make sure:
# Your Bladedancer has a Super ready and has specced for max invisibility (Vanish, Stalker, Escape Artist, Shadowjack)
# Your Sunsinger has their self-res ready and knows not to use it impulsively
# OPTIONAL: Your Defender has Gift of the Void specced for additional orbs

For this strategy, the order in which you each absorb the Essence matters a lot. It should be:
Warlock -> Hunter -> Titan -> Warlock

Once a Guardian has been tainted, spend a little time getting used to rotating the Essence while you kill adds and build your supers. Once
you're ready, you can start burning Skolas' health down towards halfway. Now this is the important bit: Once his health gets near half - STOP. From here on you're only going to burn Skolas when your hunter is holding the Essence.

Use the time inbetween (While your Warlock and Titan are holding it) to thin out adds and reposition yourself away from Skolas, then as soon as your Hunter Absorbs, start unloading your big guns.

Eventually you'll hear Variks warn you about incoming mines. At this point you want your Titan to take the Essence and move with your Warlock towards the mine that spawns closest to your current location - this is your Home Team. At the same time, your freshly immune Hunter Uses Arcblade Vanish to run to mine spawn at the opposite side of the map. This is why the Hunter needs to pass on the Essence first - the mine phase will take longer than 30 seconds, and your lone Huntwr will die if s/he's carrying it.

If the first mine spawns Far or Mid-map, your Hunter should be able to disarm it while still invisible from the Vanish (Don't forget you can re-vanish just before your Super runs out for additional invisible time), otherwise have your Hunter stay out of sight until the Far or Mid-map Mine spawns and dismantle them while Invisible.

PROTIP: You can attack a mine you're dismantling to activate your Blink Strike Escape Artist for emergency invisibility. Just make sure you're visible when you use it or it will cancel out. 

When the Home team mine spawns, have your Titan put a bubble on it and hang out with your Warlock in there.

At some point during the mine phase, your Warlock will need to Absorb from your Titan. Your Hunter may not be able to regroup in time to save your Warlock, but that's fine because self-res - this is why your Warlock needs to be the last person holding the Essence.

After the mine phase is over, work on killing adds and building up your Supers again, then continue burning Skolas only when your Hunter is holding the Essence.

As I say, this approach is a little more restrictive due to it's class requirements, but if the option is available I highly recommend this method - my team has a 100% Dismantle Rate using it (Disclaimer: Our Skolas Defeated rate is a lower due to stupid mistakes and/or Lightswitch, but it's never the mines that cause the wipe).

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your guide with my own Cruel, I just wanted to share my method with a bit more detail - specifically the rotation order and "rules" for when to burn Skolas.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread