Gear guide (Destiny)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, July 09, 2015, 01:33 (3212 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I know it's not the tool; it's how you use it, and all that, but in an attempt to be useful I thought I would mention the gear recommendation angle on this and probably (hopefully) spark off a sub-thread on the topic.

# Weapons
are easier to talk about because they are universal across classes. Keep in mind I have almost no experience with the PoE weapons and their crazy specific perks.

## Primary:
I tend to use Hawkmoon (sorry, Cody+Xbox) because it kills people quickly and is useful across a wide distance and I'm comfortable with it. Really, though use what has high impact that you are comfortable with. I think Hand cannons are the way to go as you will have a lot of enemies around you and HCs are your best shot at a one hit kill.

I also bring in Fang of Ir Ut. I use it situationally. Arc Damage is useful, long range is useful, and it's not a legendary so I can swap in the g'horn for bosses.

Word of Crota is my favorite choice for Void burns so it comes along for the ride.

## Specials:
Found Verdict, if it is ascended seems like a great choice. Basically, take all that I said about the first two primaries above and combine it into one shotgun.

Invective is fun and it saves you some ammo problems, but I must say: I rarely run out of special ammo and it's hard to say it justifies the exotic slot. Still, if you have it and it's your best Special, you will like how it works.

Black Hammer. It kills bosses. It's what it does.

## Heavy
Jolder's Hammer is an Arc machine gun that hist hard and shoots straight (I home someone says that about me someday, but I suppose "Drinks hard" is more likely). It earns its keep. If you don't like to spend time on the PvP side of things (or are simply too lazy to move gear across characters at times), my acceptable substitutes include, but are not limited to, The Swarm and Corrective measure.

Gjallergjhogrrrhorn. It kills everything. It's what it does.

# Armor/specs
I main a Titan, and I tend to use Defender for PoE. (I'll let others talk about other classes as I'm getting tired of typing and want to play Destiny.)

It's tempting to use Striker for the Arc damage with all of the Fallen Captains, but the bubble is just too strategically useful for the mines, like Cruel said, and last-minute saves.

Spec for recovery and armor in the skill tree because no matter what you can't turn a tank into a twinkle-toes but also because Dex simply does not help that much here.

I think Armor of Light and Blessing of Light both have a useful place, but if you choose Blessing of Light, CyberKN will yell at you, so keep that in mind.

Suppressor grenade can keep the captains from teleporting, which is neat, but the ratio of grenades to captains is NOT in you favor, so I just keep it magnetic to make things die quicker.

As much as I love using creepy-face, Saint 14 is the way to go here. I made such a big deal about the bubble, you may as well make it even better. Far too many times before I started using Saint 14 I'd throw up a bubble and within 10 seconds it became a fallen dance party with no cover and aliens drink free before 2 A.M. Is anything worse than dying in your very own magical bubble of safety? Oh, yes. Watching the bubble drop and killing your friends right after. And, again, CyberKN will yell at you.

Frankly, my strategy on all the rest of the armor is "whatever gets you to 34" Once again whit this bubble bobble start, you may want to max out Intel first. If you have fancy room-specific perks you can put them on, but my group never has patience to play dress-up between each round so just use what you love.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread