We need a "Jump to Conclusions Mat"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 24, 2013, 18:41 (3982 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Well, to be fair, that isn't really sound logic. You need to reverse the conclusion and use that as your premise, thereby constructing a contrapositive, to make a statement with a reversed conclusion. As such, "if you don't take the game over to their house it wouldn't be free to play" is what you'd wind up with, and even that could be incorrect (So even our premise isn't airtight). If we allowed such callous abuses of the system, this would be a valid conclusion: "If it is raining, the sidewalk is wet. Therefore, if it isn't raining, the sidewalk isn't wet." This is untrue, because other things can make the sidewalk wet. The contrapositive to be found is "If the sidewalk isn't wet, then it isn't raining." Alright, I admit, I just wanted to talk about logic for a bit; you got me.

That's true, unless you say IF AND ONLY IF it's raining is the sidewalk wet. In which case, the logic works out just fine, since rain is the only way for the sidewalk to be wet, so if it's wet it means it rained, and if it's dry, it didn't rain. So long as you say IF AND ONLY IF.

So, you can play your game on a friend's box for free IF AND ONLY IF you use your own profile.

Valid now. K thx bye.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread