Hop, Skip, Run, Jump LEAP

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 18:03 (3985 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Eh. What you're suggesting is, to me, something close to piracy. Not in the evil you stole the product sense. But in the you bought one copy of a game but somehow expect to play it in multiple places simultaneously.

Because that's how it worked back in the day. You either installed your game on all your computers, or the game let you install multiplayer only copies on other computers. One copy of the game meant you and tons of friends could play UT 99 or Starcraft. Starcraft's spawn copies even worked on battle.net.

On a console, you used splitscreen. One copy, multiple players.

WHY ARE WE GOING BACKWARDS?

And why are you providing examples from computers when we're talking consoles? This is after I explicitly said:

That you can [play a copy of an XBL downloaded game in more than one location at once] with the current implementation of XBL is likely more an unintended loophole that worked around the one game, one disc / cartridge, one location at a time restriction that has always been present on consoles.

As long as we're pulling in wildly different platforms with different rules and expectations we might as well consider more modern PC software usage rules. UT99 and Starcraft were nearly a decade and a half ago after all. The PC space isn't all roses and unicorns these days. Can I play a steam game purchased on one account in multiple locations at the same time? What about my 100% fairly purchased copy of Microsoft Office for Mac that actively looks over the network and refuses to run any of the suite's applications if another computer is running any of the applications with the same license code? What about Diablo and the newest Simcity who's launches were spectacular failures because of idiotic DRM and sever capacity issues. Heck even Starcraft's spawn system, if I recall correctly, was limited to three installations that could only play multiplayer and only when playing with the full install that had the correct license key.

As for consoles, where has it been suggested that the Xbone won't support single console splitscreen? Admittedly Microsoft representatives have said a lot of contrary things, but as far as I know nobody has mentioned the console's inability to do splitscreen multiplayer. Did you just make that up?

In all seriousness, your post was so flawed that I'm left scratching my head, wondering if you're even debating in good faith here…

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread