You're forgetting

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 21:05 (3989 days ago) @ Leviathan

You may not like a lot of art and entertainment (I think huge swaths of it are rubbish as well), but it's quite a leap to think you know the artist and what they're thinking.

Isn't the point of art expression? By looking at the art, you see what was being expressed - the thinking, the idea the artist has. That's the whole POINT. You know the artist by his work, or else his work is not authentic (or not art).

I'm working on a comic with spaceships and whale-frog hybrids right now. And it's all inspired by my 'real experiences'. But you may read it and dislike it, and then, like in this post, might claim I'm just writing escapist rubbish to make an impact or impress people... and you'd be wrong.

Not about it being rubbish, mind you, it could quite possibly be that. But just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't sincere and inspired by something real and meaningful. It doesn't mean it wasn't meant to incite reflection back on your own 'real experiences'.

The world outside the cave is a wide one, and as such, different stories resonate with different people for different reasons in different ways.

I am not sure how any of that would contradict what I've been saying… in fact I'd even go so far as to say you are completely right about that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread