The irony

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, June 07, 2013, 09:37 (3984 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Think it doesn't happen to you? You're wrong. You just don't even realize it since it's very difficult to figure out what's real and what's hyperreal. And here's the thing. You don't even know which of your pursuits you want because you want to pursue them purely on your own, or whether you want to pursue it because you have been taught to want it because of the Matrix. Think of how many things are desirable simply because it's pleasurable to be doing something that's seen as desirable.

I'm late to this, and I'm not gonna try to rekindle an argument, I just have something to say. I, on a fundamental level, see no real difference between doing something you want to because you were raised to think you wanted it, and something you "really" want to do. To me, they are both something you want to do. Because, you have a point that you can't tell which is which easily. But, what does that wind up mattering? I mean, enjoyment just comes down to chemicals that your mind turns into an emotion; and who you really are is influenced by your so-called "Matrix". Just because something comes from outside of you doesn't mean it isn't a facet of the "real" you, because otherwise our concepts of personality wouldn't reflect someone's actual personality. Most people get ideas placed into their heads their whole life, and they are obviously going to be changed by them. So whenever someone states that only some wants are "real" and not just constructs, I can't help but perceive it as arbitrary and false distinctions.
The other thing I want to say is that I don't see the issue with playing games to have fun. Even if they don't reflect anything good about the human condition, it is fun. I play video games and Dungeons & Dragons and board games and I don't think I've achieved anything out of them but enjoyment. And I see nothing wrong with that. I think enjoyment is a valid thing to strive for. I don't see how it distracts from or distorts the ability to have a real life adventure. If your adventures are in fiction and your drudgery is real life, that is fine. There is nothing inherently wrong in escapism.

It's depressing because the adventure can come to you. With a computer, it can all come to you virtually. You can read it, listen to it, or see it. But when everything is available everywhere, everywhere becomes nowhere.
So what do you do? I struggled with this for a while seeing as how I make movies. The bottom line, is that you need to do a bit of soul searching and try to wade your way out of the Matrix. Easier said than done, and I think in any modern society it's almost impossible to be fully out. But the first step becomes understanding and loving yourself, not characters and situations of fiction or documented reality.

First, how does ubiquity make something worse? I honestly don't get where you're coming from on the "everywhere becomes nowhere" thing. I also don't see this "Matrix" as inherently bad; everyone seems to have assumed it is, but I don't see why. It isn't an artificially constructed reality like its namesake, it is just... heck, it just seems like you're calling the influence of media "The Matrix". Also, I don't know about you, but I love myself and fiction simultaneously. I have no intention of leaving this thing, because I have no belief that it is warping who I am, or that it is bad.

Alright, I'm done. I really don't want to start up an argument, I just needed to say these things. Hopefully I actually conveyed my point, but I'm glad just to have written this.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread