The irony

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, June 07, 2013, 19:30 (3984 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Okay, thanks for the clarifications. And yes, you can have wants that aren't what's best for you result from what you have been taught. You can also get wants that aren't in your best interest naturally (Like eating unhealthy foods because they taste good). My main point was really that I don't think one can make a non-arbitrary distinction between things arising from outside influence and what is "really" you. As you said, you never really argued that, but your "Matrix" thing just implied it to me; sorry if I was putting words in your mouth. On the submissive thing, I don't see anything inherently wrong with that, seeing as the person genuinely wants it. Now, there are certainly negative things that can arise out of it, like abuse, but that is outside the scope of what I'm talking about. On the "everywhere becomes nowhere" thing, I see what you mean now. I'd argue ubiquity and convenience more or less make up for it, but that is coming down to personal preference. Sorry about my misinterpretations, I'm kinda bad with that; I'm glad this hasn't turned into blind argumentativeness despite it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread