About melee balance... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 19:07 (2962 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I was just thinking about the melee abilities of the various classes, and how bungie could perhaps tweak things to make them more balanced without making them the same. A few ideas popped into my head. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks:

Warlocks:

A big deal with Warlock Melees is that they have the longest range, and the Warlock tends to gain something from a successful melee hit (overshield, grenade charge, etc).
What if bungie leaned into these characteristics to change the way warlocks use their melee. I was imagining something like extending the range even a little further (imagine short range jedi-style force push), adding a slight "knock back" effect, but drastically reducing the damage (I'm thinking 3 melee strikes to kill) as well as slowing down the strike itself a little bit.

This would make the Warlock melee require a bit more foresight to use effectively, but gives it some interesting strategic potential. Imagine you see a hunter blinking towards you; you anticipate the inevitable blink/shotgun combo and use your melee/force push to bounce the approaching hunter back out of shotgun range and engage with your primary.

Hunters:

Hunter melee could stay roughly where it is for my idea. Middle of the road in terms or range, speed, and damage (still a 2-strike-kill).

Titans:

Since Titans have the shortest range on their melee, I think it would be interesting to increase their melee damage. They could still be a 2-strike-kill, but a single strike would do massive damage... enough to almost kill a fully-shielded guardian. I think it would also make sense for Titans to have a slightly faster melee than the other classes, to help emphasize their "brawler" nature.

What do you think?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread