About melee balance... (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 19:14 (2961 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I was just thinking about the melee abilities of the various classes, and how bungie could perhaps tweak things to make them more balanced without making them the same. A few ideas popped into my head. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks:

Warlocks:

A big deal with Warlock Melees is that they have the longest range, and the Warlock tends to gain something from a successful melee hit (overshield, grenade charge, etc).
What if bungie leaned into these characteristics to change the way warlocks use their melee. I was imagining something like extending the range even a little further (imagine short range jedi-style force push), adding a slight "knock back" effect, but drastically reducing the damage (I'm thinking 3 melee strikes to kill) as well as slowing down the strike itself a little bit.

This would make the Warlock melee require a bit more foresight to use effectively, but gives it some interesting strategic potential. Imagine you see a hunter blinking towards you; you anticipate the inevitable blink/shotgun combo and use your melee/force push to bounce the approaching hunter back out of shotgun range and engage with your primary.

Hunters:

Hunter melee could stay roughly where it is for my idea. Middle of the road in terms or range, speed, and damage (still a 2-strike-kill).

Titans:

Since Titans have the shortest range on their melee, I think it would be interesting to increase their melee damage. They could still be a 2-strike-kill, but a single strike would do massive damage... enough to almost kill a fully-shielded guardian. I think it would also make sense for Titans to have a slightly faster melee than the other classes, to help emphasize their "brawler" nature.

What do you think?

I just like the idea of what you say for warlocks, but making their melee almost useless at close range. So they actually get damage fall off the closer their enemy is. I don't care if you have a long melee, but you should be !@#$ed if a titan gets in close with his melee. That sounds more realistic in this universe. And as you say, Hunters should stay the same, because ultimately, they choose to have a good melee, or a good ranged melee.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread