Storytelling in Destiny 2 and a plot I can get behind (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 23:39 (2833 days ago) @ Cody Miller

While an interesting idea for a game. I don't think this would be a good route for Destiny 2 to take. Too much has been invested in the notion of you as the character becoming legend in the world of Destiny.

But we are almost too legend. You get the sense that very little is happening outside of your character when you play the game. The world perhaps seems small because there's nothing in it that doesn't relate to you… no sense that it exists except to be a part of your tale.

Grimoire excepted, but that's not in the game.

And yet nothing you've done has had any impact on the world whatsoever. Oryx is still there any time you please. Same with Crota and Aetheon. When you rid the black garden of it's literal heart of darkness, the Speaker gives you one. Mote. Of light. Thanks, buddy.

I take it back: Shaxx calls me "hivebane" now. Woo friggin' hoo.

But you know what... There are still fallen in all of the places the fallen always were. Same with hive. And vex. And cabal. The wolves came and went but not because of us. The taken showed up and nothing we did had any impact on whether they're coming or going.

The game world *has* changed, but none. NONE of it, is - wait... Oh fuck me, wait. I take it all back. There's a pile of corpses in that cave that's totally there because of player actions.

Okay, carry on guardians.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread