Storytelling in Destiny 2 - Effects of Guardian Progression (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 01:33 (2833 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think this post has enlightened me a little on the disconnect I feel in Destiny. It's normal for ME to go back and replay missions in video games. It's perfectly normal for ME to assault the control room again with Master Chief as he always was and forever will be the same character with the same progression when I start that level. However, in Destiny, when I replay a mission there's this strangeness because I'm not replaying it with my guardian as he/she was when I first started that mission, my guardian has changed and already done X. With Master Chief I don't feel weird, but it does with my Guardian because HE/SHE has already done that and progressed past it. I guess it comes from a deeper connection I feel with the progression of my character...

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just coming to a realization of a discomfort/disconnect/something that I have with Destiny and its mixture of RPG elements with the traditional shooter.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread