XP in Destiny 2 (Destiny)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 11:12 (2351 days ago) @ CyberKN

Since Day one Bungie has developed the Destiny games to incentives people into playing an variety of activities instead of just grinding the same thing over and over. Examples exist from long before the game even had silver. People complained about it then, and now. If you like narrow focused grinding, I sort of get it (though, if you like grinding then what's the problem with it taking longer?) but I honestly fail to connect this to micro transactions. I don't play anywhere near enough for this XP throttling to really effect me and I still seem to have one or more visits to Tess in each of my gaming sessions.

Separately, though, this is another downside of adding microtransactions to your game. It adds a bad motive to which players can ascribe the motivation for all mistakes or even just unpopular decisions.

Disclaimer: I totally get that people don't like not getting what they "earned" and Bungie was very wrong and pretty dumb for hiding this mechanic until it became a PR problem, though. That looks/is shady.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread