The heart of this issue, IMO... (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 17:43 (2348 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And because exp does nothing but get you cosmetics, there isn't really an incentive power wise to grind events. Thus, people unconcerned about cosmetics will play the events that interest them, since for those people exp is pretty much no reward at all.

So the only thing a player could conceivably be doing by grinding events beyond level 20 to get exp would be trying to get cosmetic gear without paying. Throttling exp only really effects this (after level 20), so the intent is clear: we don't want you to bypass paying money to get bright engrams. If exp had some sort of other functionality, the scaling might be justified.

I mostly agree with what you're trying to say. But grinding Public Events doesn't purely have to be for cosmetics. It could be for gear. Sure, it won't be that helpful for leveling up, but we're mostly at the point where that's irrelevant. I'm at 303 or so and have plenty of 300 level stuff that's just infusion fodder at this point. Grinding Public Events is the fastest way to just get gear, if you're trying to complete a world set or just otherwise completing collections. That's probably just as big a motivator as Bright Engrams for some folks.

That is why I qualified the statement as being only about exp. Gear rewards are not scaled. Only the exp rewards are scaled. So Bungie did not see a problem with earning gear too fast - only exp.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread