Don't say stupid things, Cody (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 16:12 (3437 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you present a challenge to me, and I come up with a novel, clever, and efficient solution, that should not be invalidated.

I don't think it was. If you used any of the methods they now prevent, you still beat Atheon. You still keep your sense of accomplishment, your skills, your experience, your loot.

But Bungie are totally allowed to change the challenge for future attempts by you or anyone else.

Have you ever watched Sasuke? AKA Ninja Warrior. It's a televised 4 stage obstacle course from Japan. The first stage is open to basically all ability levels so its entertaining for the wipe-outs as much as the swift completions. Then the later stages become truly gruelling with some inspiring attempts.

They've held dozens of competitions with 100 competitors each time and the full course has only been cleared 4 times by 3 different people. The organisers make changes to the course every year, and every time someone beat it they did a massive overhaul of the entire course.

The changes don't invalidate the completer's accomplishments at all. The changes make it BETTER as it keeps it a fresh and interesting challenge for everyone each time. No competition is a foregone conclusion just because the guy that won last time is back again. The best competitors can never get too comfortable, can't rely too heavily on training on replicas at home. It means there are more upsets for viewers and competitors have to be more adaptable and just plain better. The few that get far in the course are welcomed back as heroes every time they decide to have another go.

That's a fairly extreme example in terms of how much it changes and I wouldn't expect the Vault of Glass to undergo that. But, the point is, changing the challenge is fine and can even be a good thing.

(Also, you should watch Sasuke - it's awesome)

Part of the problem with the Templar fix I have in principle is that it breaks the logic of the game. You have a platform you can reach. So it stands to reason you can stand there and snipe enemies, just as enemies do to you. When you can't, it breaks immersion.

A better solution would have been to place the platforms farther away, so they simply cannot be reached.

Oh, I totally agree. Or make them smaller with no viable cover and extend the Templar's range.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread