The players have spoken (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 31, 2014, 07:10 (3466 days ago) @ yakaman
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, October 31, 2014, 07:19

I love playing through the Raid just for the enjoyment of it, but it is beyond frustrating to get to the end and see several members of your fireteam awarded sweet gear while you get nothing but some ascendant energy and a ship. It creates feelings of disappointment that tarnish the experience.

I half expect this is the purpose. You can't have a skinner box without disappointment. You need people to experience 'losing', so that the 'winning' (when it comes) lights up all the right areas of the brain.

The only disappointment you ever had in Halo was when you failed to perform. If you mess up, it's on you. That's how it should be. If you play well and succeed, you were never disappointed. Failure should be (or at least FEEL) entirely on the shoulders of the player. Failing because a RNG didn't go your way sucks.

The problem is that you can be disappointed even if you play amazingly and everybody beats the raid on hard in 27 minutes and doesn't die once. Oh a sparrow and shards? OK.

I have said and will continue to say that rewards ruin, rather than enhance, games.

However when there is a reward involved, this alters the ability of the player to enjoy the moment to moment pleasure of the game, simply because now instead of focusing on the present, the player has to focus on future. If you are driven to play because of that reward, this shift prevents the player from merely enjoying the present moment on its own, since the expectation is now that the present moment carries later on a future reward.

Miffed you didn't get raid gear? Seems to be exactly what's going on it this thread :-p

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread