Devil's Advocate Time (Destiny)

by Earendil, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:08 (3401 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Here's a list of things that I simply cannot believe haven't been in patches yet.

1. Skipping cutscenes. Broken since day 1.

First, not a bug unless it was ever an intended feature.
Second, it could be that the cutscenes are masking an issue behind the (literal) scene. To skip the nice cutscene is to expose a real issue or bit of ugliness that they haven't cleaned up yet.

I like how in a different post you say something to the effect of "in this day in age cutscenes should be skippable", as if we didn't have the technology to not show a cutscene, and now we do, so by golly we should use it. In reality cutscenes are easy to skip, always have been, which means they aren't skippable for practical or artistic reasons.

2. Exp from missions not applying to weapons. Broken since day 1.

Your character completes missions (xp for char). Guns* kill things (xp for guns). I don't see the problem?

3. Losing heavy ammo on death. Broken since day 1. Bungie says this is "hard".

Yeah, this one is terrible and it must be a giant one because I don't know how they didn't discover it in testing prior to release.

4. Bigger vault. Bungie says they are thinking about it. What's to think about? There's no downside.

You're talking about the company that delivered the first mass market FPS that limited you to *gasp* 2 weapons.

Bungie has a thing for not wanting players to hang onto everything they find. Bungie could solve this in a million better ways than simply increasing the slot count, and it could be that is what they are aiming for. Or, it could be that they are forcing you to make decisions about what sort of weapons and armor you want to keep around.

Also, it's not a bug.

5. Audio sliders. Marty is gone. Now give us separate sfx / vox / music control like every other sensible game.

I assume with the Marty comment that you are aware that the sfx and music are designed into the game in an artistic way, and to allow a player to modify that is akin to letting you re-texture the walls in daisy wallpaper, right? I think it would be disrespectful to start ripping out core ideas of Marty's as soon as he isn't around to defend them. Presumably he got them passed because a good number of other people agreed with him (such as myself).

Now, I don't know about the other consoles, but the XB1 allows you to modify the voice chat to game sound ratio. This is all I've ever really needed.

I'm not about to say that what you desire shouldn't be a desire of yours. But please do understand that not everything you dislike or hope for is, based on it's lack of existence, a defect in the design or implementation.

Also the lack of any feature is excusable based on the two currencies of all features, time and money. You can only get so much at a time. To demand one thing is to delay any number of other things.

Outside of the raid bugs, I think it's rather telling that when people go to complain about Destiny bugs, what they mostly come up with are feature requests. That's pretty good :)

The Ammo bug is the only one that bothers me, and bothers me on a daily basis as all of my good armor (and even my mediocre) armor adds heavy ammo, so I'm always under the effect of this bug. All my other complaints fall squarely into design decisions, or decisions without (seemingly) any design.

*actually, guns don't, pfhor do.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread