I think I'm finally getting tired of Destiny (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Monday, March 16, 2015, 11:32 (3352 days ago)

As a fun diversion, I've been playing Destiny with a gunless Guardian. It has definitely been a change of pace and has made boss encounters an entirely new challenge.

SonofMacPhisto helped me get him to 20 originally, but then I deleted him to make the Destiny Quack. So this weekend I set to grinding him back to 20, but this time I deliberately left the Gunslinger class blank (the result is the only HUD elements on the screen when I select Gunslinger are the radar and sometimes health bar. Really nice for taking in the scenery or taking screenshots). Which meant getting from 1-20 with Blade Dancer.

I had to solo most of the story missions by myself this time. With no gun and a melee-focused super, boss battles were.. interesting. The Chamber of the Night was especially aggravating. But I did it, even leveled from 6-20 in a single day so I could don the armor I saved and get dragged through Crota that evening because 32.

And that's where it hit me, as I was literally watching my clan kill Crota, hoping to get the last piece of Raid armor I need to get my useless character to 32, that I wasn't having fun. I don't think they were having fun either.

It's my own fault, obviously. I burned myself out playing the game excessively in a stupid (but amusing and refreshing) way. Overall I have definitely gotten enjoyment out of playing without a gun, especially when I ran strikes and got more kills than both randoms, but I think what really happened is it helped me see Destiny in a different way.

For example, I literally couldn't do some of the bounties. I was already getting sick of running them--I deliberately restrict the weapons my Titan has so I don't need to run as many--, but then that mental categorization of them kind've being off-limits really drove that point home. I don't want to do bounties, so what would happen.. if I didn't? The only reason I'd do them now is so I could get to the point of no longer needing to do them.

I've run Vault of Glass so many times..

I've run Crota's End so many times..

I've run pretty much every Nightfall variation so many times..

If I DID get Gjallarhorn, would I even want to do the bounties to max it, and then would I even want to play any of the content so I could use it?

I think I've exhausted what Destiny has to offer me. Which is totally fine--content lulls are a good thing. That's why a gunless character was fun, because it was refreshing in a static experience. And I'm not going to stop playing Destiny completely, --I'm sure I'll be looking for a group to drag my sorry self through Crota again next weekend-- but I feel done for now. Not because I reached a milestone or stopping point in the game, but just because I'm tired of it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread