Different Mentalities. (Destiny)

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, March 16, 2015, 18:24 (3351 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ahah. If that's true, then these developers are idiots.

1. If the players don't finish, then all the effort you put into the beginning didn't work to get them hooked after all. You've failed.
2. These players demonstrate a lack of interest in finishing your game. Why are you trying (and failing, as in point 1) to please the people who don't want to play?
3. The end is JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE BEGINNING for a satisfying experience.

Again, not necessarially true on any count, regardless of how you take it. There have been multiple articles on why making a game easier and more accessible doesn't necessarially make it more fun or better. In fact, there's high rate of players who forgo the campaign entirely in favor of the PVP portion.

And yet, despite all this data that no matter how good you make the campaign people will quickly abandon it in favor of PVP, the exclusion of a single-player campaign mode is seen as a sign of laziness on the part of the developer. See Titanfall, which had solid gameplay, good mechanics, fun multiplayer, and was lambasted for not having a single player campaign.

I'm not defending the industry here. Believe me, I'm not. There's a lot wrong with it, and unfortunately I don't have the patience to explain what is wrong, or how many of your suggestions fit in with that problem. However, I would suggest that you look into systems thinking, as it goes in depth into system tampering. You might find it enlightening.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread