Different Mentalities. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 17:44 (3349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've speculated before that Bungie's "sustain" team for Destiny is a lot smaller than some of us might first assume, and lulls like this reinforce the idea for me. The studio at large very well could be all-hands-on-deck with Comet & Destiny 2 at this point, with a very small group of programmers and designers and 1 or 2 artists working on patches/updates/House of Wolves.

This should give you some idea of how impossible the MMO model of constant content is to sustain, especially for an MMOFPS. Bungie has a huge team, huge budgets, huge talent, yet the content trickles in. Years ago I said this aspect would fail, and it has.

You have a game whose central design philosophy revolves around playing daily, yet there is not enough content to play daily in a meaningful way. Since Bungie cannot deliver the content, the only sensible option is to abandon the idea of your game being constantly played, and turn Destiny into a regular FPS with strong co-op elements, which is designed to be finished and 'beaten'.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread