One other networking point that needs to be brought up too (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 30, 2015, 17:27 (3283 days ago) @ Earendil

That's not an advantage based on a good connection though, that's not letting people take advantage of people with bad connections. It's weird, sure, but if their system records a kill prior to you recording one, regardless of when the server finds out about it, I really don't mind.

Well that's the thing though, if I don't have accurate visuals on what you're doing because your connection is worse it IS a disadvantage for me if I am shooting you while you run into a corner, but then die because you were actually right next to me. This is absolutely a deliberate decision made to make the experience more enjoyable for people that have worse connections. This is not a bad thing, but it can be very frustrating.

Let me rephrase my original question: Do you believe there is netcode in place that adversely affects gameplay if all players in a game had a good connection? I understand that if you play against someone with a bad connection, that there are mechanisms that prevent a good connection from taking advantage of that, but that to me is not the same as having mechanisms that disadvantage a good connection.

No I don't think there is, but that's also not the point I made in my original post, merely that it's designed to make the experience more enjoyable for the average connection. If the average connection IS a good connection, congrats you have a really good experience. The system does not specifically disadvantage a good connection, it can do that as a side effect of helping the over all experience be a better one.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread